POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Anyone know about NT? : Re: Anyone know about NT? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 21:20:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Anyone know about NT?
From: povray org admin team
Date: 1 Jun 1998 23:35:18
Message: <357370fc.8075051@news.povray.org>
"Lance Birch" <:-)Lan### [at] tpgicomau> wrote:

>Hi, I was wondering whether anyone here uses NT 4.0...  I've just bought 3D
>Studio MAX and I was wondering whether there is a huge speed and reliability
>increase.  I've heard that it is better than Windows 95 but that it's about
>the same as Windows 98 (except 98 doesn't have Multi-Processor threading).
>Does anyone here know about NT and 98?  This may not be the best place to
>ask but I couldn't really find anywhere else.  Thanks.

Lance - I have used NT 4 for about six months (P2/266, 128mb RAM) and there's
no way I would even remotely consider going back to Windows 95. With the type
of development and application use that I do, I would often see Win95 crash
several times a day. In the six months I've been running NT, it has crashed
perhaps five times. Occasionally (maybe once every few days) it gets into a
funny state and I'll choose to reboot it, but hard crashes are very unusual.

For applications like POVWIN (which is pure 32-bit code) NT will be faster than
95 since it doesn't have to deal with all the Win16 baggage that 95 does.